Newbie: Could I link White tests with GUI code?

Nov 27, 2009 at 8:14 PM

Hi,

I just started experimenting with White. I was planning use white to generate stimuli from NUnit and Mock out the service layer with NMock 2, checking for calls from the UI with nmock mechanisms. Perhaps the NUnit test could pop up the main window as a non-modal dialog with mocks attached instead of the real service layer...?

I'm quite new to both .NET and White, so I thought I should just get some expert advice. Is this a suitable White usage?

If not, is there another UI test lib/approach that I could use to test UI calls to service layer mocks?

Thanks in advance!

Henrik

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2009 at 5:44 AM

White works out of process, so what you mentioned is not a typical way in which you would use white.

Which UI framework you are using. If it is WinForm then you can try out NUnitForms. MS has done extremely poor job of allowing unit testing of WPF controls.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Hi,

Thanks for confirming this.

I was actually looking at NUnitForms first, but since the project looks dead. It seems too risky to start using it for anything important.

I would prefer some really active open source project or a commersial library to minimize the risk that money spent on using frameworks are not lost due to lack of support.

If thats not possible, perhaps I need to drop the "UI-service layer mock" idea and go for complete system tests using White instead.

Best Regards

Henrik