Please, consider a rename of the project

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM

This is not intended to start any manner of flame war, trust me.

Please consider a new, search-friendly name for white. The plain project name by itself is not terribly useful as a search term and I suspect its lack of uniqueness might help hide a lot of useful white-related posts floating about the internet. I'm interested, for example. in discovering how people might have used something like IronPython to script white-based integration tests. "IronPython" is unique enough, but paired with "white" you get loads of results related to white papers, screen colors, and the like. Further refinement, and you get to hits on white-box testing and such.

Really, it does nothing but hurt this project to force the curious to be jedi-level googlers to come up with search results for it. The easier you make it for beginners and experts alike to find the project and useful material about it, the faster it is likely to spread.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:55 AM

mmh ok if you don't know the name "White"

google search for "White" is not very easy

"ui automation framework" is a keyword to search for, but no or late  hits

if you know the name white

white, ui , white is first hit

Maybe some promotion is needed :)

If I ask in msdn forum I show examples with white.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM

fair enough, searching for white itself easy but searching for white along with other things might be difficult. my apologies.

can I ask for suggestions?

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I'm just starting out today, but unfortunately I have to agree. Although I like the name, it has a sense of simplicity and purity about it, searching for help is hard.

As for suggestions, what were the original thoughts when the name was selected?

Jul 4, 2009 at 9:37 AM

my thought process went like this.

since this tool is going to allow automation of WPF, SWT, Win32, Silverlight and WinForm apps, I started thinking on lines of what you get when you put everything together.

I thought about colors and hence white (i.e. when you put all primary colors).

Not very well thought out, but for what it is worth.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I thought some more about this. I like your explanation and the name has been around for a while now.

I try to use ProjectWhite/White when I talk about it. That goes for the tags I use on Delicious and on my blog. ProjectWhite at least narrows it down a bit.

It's the only suggestion I could think of though.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I feel currently most of the material on white on the discussion forums and issues tracker, which can be search easily, from the project's home page. Do you know of places which has good amount information on white?

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:37 AM

No, I don't. I've seen a couple of blogs with a few examples.

You are right, with the source code (and especially the unit tests) available, there is little need for more information. It did take me a while to realize I could use it that way, but I'm not an experienced open source user.

However, from a marketing point of view, its it's hard to gain popularity if the product is hard to find.