Unable to get hold of a popup window

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM
Edited Apr 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Hi All,

Here is what i am doing,

I am cliking on a button which is displayed in system tray window, and now a new popup window is displayed, is there any way to get hold of such a window. The problem is i am not able to spy the window, if i click on any other window the popup dissappears.

I tried to list out the child windows of desktop, but this did not showed up to be the child of desktop.

Thanks in Advance..
Apr 13, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM
I am sure you would have been able to figure it out if you were able to spy the window. You can either do it the hard way i.e. iterate through all items and in your code and list them out, I used to do this a long time ago! Thankfully there is another tool available which lets you grab the info of the popup and retains it even when the item disappears, it's UIA Verify and can be found at http://www.codeplex.com/UIAutomationVerify. It's very similar to UI Spy, so you shouldn't have much of a problem using it.

The popup window will be a menu belonging to the desktop, so look for menu/s of the desktop, not window/s.
May 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.