Is there anywhere an old version of white?

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM
The github thing just sucks for me.

I remember that I used white a while ago.
It was working fine - record something, then change the recorded things appropriatly.

Now:
Install using NuGet - Heck - do not have a productive project open, otherwise it will land in the project.
Install the UIA Verify thing - which really did not find anything any longer in our application. Maybe blame DevExpress - but the UIA seems to also just suck.

So in the end with some time spend to just find and install needed application now - the hole thing no longer has any use for us.

Just too much spend time for nothing.

So is there anywhere a working old version of white?
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Hi,

The underlying technologies While uses has not changed, it has always used Windows UIA, but let me try and understand what your issues are:
  1. You installed White into your production project, not a test project?
    How did you use White before, i assume you extracted to a folder then added a reference from your test project manually? What format would you like White to be distrubuted as? If zip is your thing you can download the nightly zips. http://teamcity.ginnivan.net/viewType.html?buildTypeId=TestStack_White_Ci
  2. You can use UIA Verify, or Inspect.exe to get automation id's and inspect your apps automation tree. If it is not identifying controls (for instance, 3rd party winforms controls), or they have type of Pane, then it is most likely the third party component.
As for the recorder, it was incomplete, buggy and I did not have the time to fix it and maintain it. If you would like to contribute to this open source project which I spend my free time trying to maintain and improve then I am happy to help you get started.

The recorder also generates brittle hard to maintain tests. White is designed as a tool to help developers write maintainable UI tests. The screen object generation was good, but it had a long way to go.