Planning to drop White

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I have been exploring white for one of our applications. White is able to identify basic elements like menus,buttons etc. I have a custom control(drop down)which UI Spy is able to identify, but UI Spy does not give me the drop down items.

I am using Windows Hooks to get the handle. I am able to get the handle to the control. From the Handle how do i get the Properties of the control. Please guide me. If this does not work, I am planning to drop White and use some other tool

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:38 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2012 at 7:07 AM

can you please show all informations about the control UISpy show you or UIAVerify?

What kind of software do you want to test? WPF, Silverlight or Windows Forms.

Which White Version?

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Our Software is developed using Windows Forms.

I am using White 0.2.1. When I use UISpy I am getting only the name of the control. The items in the control are not getting displayed.

I want to use White, just because of this problem I am unable to continue with white. Please help me. I tried rto automate using custom control mapping in white. But still the items in the drop dowm are not visible. Also I have the dll for the custom control. Can I integrate this dll with white and try something.

ClassName: ""

ControlType: "ControlType.Pane"

Culture: "(null)"

AutomationId: "DropDown"

LocalizedControlType: "pane"

Name: "Type:DropDown"

ProcessId: "5940 (abc)"

RuntimeId: "42 986032"

IsPassword: "False"

IsControlElement: "True"

IsContentElement: "True"

BoundingRectangle: "(114, 523, 105, 44)"

ClickablePoint: "198,555"

IsOffscreen: "False"

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM

first the ControlType is wrong this seems to be a custom control and UIAutomation in general will have problems with such things (not with custom controls but with controls hidden for UIAutomation). If UIAutomation can't see the elements, White also can't see them. In fact all UI Testing Tools based on UIAutomation have problems with such controls. And UIAutomation is part of .NET and so it should be the preferred treatment.

1. in White you can try Custom Commands (I have no experience here).

2. In my opinion the developer who developed such controls has no testing in mind. In my opinion a bad implementation. If this can be changed, it should be changed.

3. question: can you see the drop down and the elements in UISpy? Than there should be a way to implement a test.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

In the documentation for Custom Commands it says. So I am not sure whether it works for WinForms which my app is written with. 

white commands for WPF and Silverlight applications. (WinForm support should arrive soon).

Team members feel we can use Windows Hooks and reflection to access the items. I was able to get the handle but not sure how to get the items using the handle.

No the drop down items are not visible in UISpy.