White and .NET4/UIA3.0

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Hi, we use 'White' extensively in automating our WPF application. Everything was fine when the application was compiled for .NET3.5, but since we have moved to .NET4, the automation is not working. It’s not able to find the elements in the UI. Is 'White' compatible with .NET4 (UIA3.0?) or is there any upgrade planned?

Let me re-emphasize: The code worked for 3.5 but without any visible changes failing on 4.0. UIVerify shows ids are unchanged.

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I have created a small application about calling Windows Explore and running some automatical operations (e.g. open the folder) by White, but not for the Test purpose. It works both on .NET 3.5 and .NET4.  Is it possible, that the to be testet application has some problem with .NET4? 

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:32 PM

The application under test here is complex with multiple controls. The issue mostly occurs when an action is perfomed on an element under a tab or pane and it gets refreshed - the object reference is lost and White is not able to locate the object again.

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Hi

we have also a complex application in WPF and use .Net4, in general White works.

Note that there are nown issues in UIAutomation, so not all problems are related to White.

Throndorin

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hi,

We are running into null reference exception for UI items in main window after handling a modal window and control is set back to main window after handling of pop-up. This was working all fine till the application was on .NET 3.5 We have bumped into these exceptions/errors after our recent upgrade to .NET 4.0

However, I am able handle the main window controls using native UIAutomation.

Notably so, this is not an issue with UIAutomation.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM

One thing I ran into when switching the WPF app from 3.5 to 4.0 was the test automation project also needed to be changed to build on 4.0 instead of 3.5. Once I did that, everything worked without any additional changes.

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Our automation project was built against .NET4 even before the application under test was on 4. We use the combination of WatIN and White for our full automation coverage.