Framework 4

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I had an odd problem and thought I'd post it here.

Basically I started a new project in VS2010 using White.  I could add the white references and write some code and all would be well, but the instant I compiled it the White.Core namespace seemed to simply dissapear.

If you have this problem then you can change the dotnet version to 3.5 and automagically it works again!

I rather though Dot Net was backward compatible but there you go.

Iain

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I have the same problem with the '.NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile' target framework. Change to '.NET Framework 4.0' will work.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:25 AM

In fact I've seen this in a number of projects recently.  What seems to be the case is that the client profile excludes some assemblies/namespaces (specifically, I think stuff that's normally associated with asp.net), but doesn't stop you using them in projects.  In other projects, I simply wanted some URLEncoding, for a client app.  This is not part of the client profile and so, one way or another it won't work.

I think there are two lessons for Microsoft.  One is that client apps need more web support (UrlEncoding, for example) even if they don't need the whole ASP.Net stuff.  Secondly, the error reporting on this is just dreadful.

Iain