VSTS Integration

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM
Hello, I have found your project and I think it is great. I just want to know, if you can release version without NUnitFramework and use Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.
Thank you very much
Karel
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM
Thanks
You shouldn't need to use NUnitFramework if you are interested only in the binary. White has used NUnit for unit testing. NUnit reference would be required only if you are using White.NUnit.dll.
May be you are using source code. I haven't released the build program for generating dll out of code, it should come soon. The program removes the references the nunit references and then creates the dll.
But I would soon add something like White.MSTest for people who use MSTest for testing.
Feb 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM
Hi,

My blog post is actually done using MbUnit - http://blog.benhall.me.uk/2008/02/project-white-automated-ui-testing.html

Ben
Feb 18, 2008 at 2:17 PM
Thanx for your answers. I have another and very bold question - can you build your solution without Bricks, NUnit, XStream, Castle and etc.?
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2008 at 4:12 AM
NUnit: It is not needed unless you are using White.NUnit project. If you developing from source then you would need it. But I am going release my build scripts pretty soon.
Castle and Bricks: White depends on these, so cannot be removed.
XStream: Arguably this can be removed if I choose to serialize the WindowItemsMap (read the performance section) as binary instead of Xml. It is xml for the purpose of readability. I would give this more thought.

Are you facing some specific problem because of these?
Feb 21, 2008 at 6:50 AM
I was not facing any problem (except that one with Log4net of different versions, but that is not your issue), but I am not developing a project for testing for myself, but for a company. And I think that Enterprise Library can easily replace Castle and Bricks.
Maybe my suggestions sound a little bit "Microsoft-centric" and anti-open-source, but that is not it.
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2008 at 6:16 PM
Sorry for responding so late.
As far as Bricks is concerned it is set of utilities and for all practical purposes I could have made it part of white and wouldn't have been an issue for but thats just a way of looking at it. There is no real difference.
I can understand your comment about Castle. If there are enough people worrying about it, may be I would have a pluggable DynamicProxy implementation.