Initial impressions, questions + suggestions

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:08 AM

I've been using White for about a week now in the construction of a test harness for a WPF application. My initial impression is that White is going to be extremely useful to myself and my colleagues. 

I've run into a couple of situations where the standard White UI items aren't quite doing the job and I'm not sure of the best way to deal with this. The main one is the ListView:

We have a number of lists in our application that use DataTemplate blocks to format the columns of a WPF GridView control. Unfortunatly the White ListView expects a "cell" to be of ControlType.Text and our grids consist of ControlType.Custom elements the labels or other elements within them.

Therefore we have 0 cells and are unable to retrieve the contents. Ideally the List would consider all child elements of any type to be the cell, the text of the cell being either the name (if it exists) or any text element within it. With cell being a WPFUIITem getting any other elements would then be easy. 

I was hoping that there would be a way to easily override this behaviour or supply some custom factory implementation but this doesn't seem possible unless I'm missing something. Is there a better way to do this? I think I'm correct in saying that you can't override one of the White UIItems and then use it in methods such as myWindow.Get<CustomListView>(...) When I tried this I received a null reference exception somewhere in White.Core.

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Hi

you need to learn something about CustomUIItems to solve this problem

we run into the same problem => look also here

Throndorin

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:28 AM
Edited Jul 2, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Hi, Thanks for that. Yes that is my current solution. Nice to know I'm not alone in this problem! :)

Jul 5, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Hi I think this is a general problem, WPF is much more extendable than normal Windows Forms and, WPF does not contain a good datagrid in .Net 3.5 (mostly the WPF Toolkit is used to have a useable datagrid, as far as I know)

Maybe White will extende DataGrid for WPF since .NET 4.0 is out and the datagrid is part of it.

Throndorin

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.